Tuesday, September 3, 2013

A Day in Retro - #1



Cosmo’s Cosmic Adventure

Back in the day of DOS games and the adventurous nature of retro consoles there was a particular side-scroller that caught my fancy for an extended period of time. Cosmo’s Cosmic Adventure was unique, it was a fine take on a Mario-esque adventure with a sci-fi / fantasy flavor to it. It was really good!

Start of one of the adventures. Did I mention there are multiple adventures?


There were a lot of side-scrolling, platformer games in this era, as they were generally the simplest to make; no 3D objects, no dynamic 3D background or world, no extra graphics rendering besides some sprites of pixel art and a scrolling background.

I think what I loved the most about Cosmo’s Cosmic Adventure was the atmosphere, the game was very colorful and had a lot of wonderfully creative enemies and areas within its entirety. Color in the game was abundant and vibrant, and at my ripe young age of six this was my Super Mario as a child. I hold as much fondness for this game as most childhood Nintendo fans do for Mario, except this IP didn't have a gazillion sequels.

The controls on this game were really tight, and the ability to climb up walls was a very cool feature you just don’t see on games too often from that time period.



Look at that sweet background and color scheme!



Cosmo's Cosmic Adventure was probably the game that got me first interested in the Metroid series, though I rarely touched other platformers until much later in my life. Probably for good reason. Cosmo’s Cosmic Adventure is hard. Or rather, it was hard when I was six years old, maybe now I’d be a wizard at it. It had a final boss fight that was, at the time, pretty damn scary. I was amazed at the boss when I was little, it was so intimidating, and the mood of the game was excellent at that point.




Let's take a moment and remember all of the good games we played when we were younger.

What were your favorites?




I'll go first:

No comments:

Post a Comment